Welcome to the December 2022 edition of the Lotus Eaters Travel newsletter. We hope this finds you very well and enjoying life wherever in the world you are.
Firstly, we wanted to say a huge thank you for subscribing and supporting us. We are a new website, with our first post being sent into the ether in August 2022. Wow, we’ve learnt a lot since then! We’ve recently been updating our website and hopefully we’ve moved away from the 1990s vibe we had going on for a while, and we are edging towards the modern age. Your support means a lot and we are LOVING running the site.
What have we been up to?
Asides from some much-needed website improvements, we’ve also been getting around a bit too.
We visited Jordan in November, our first trip together in the Middle East and we got to experience a few days hiking the Jordan Trail. Suffice to say, this was phenomenal.
Recently, we have embarked on some solo travel. E is in Bali training to be a Yoga Instructor (a trip that was 2 and half years late but well worth the wait.) J has spent more time in the Middle East, this time exploring the sights, sounds and tastes of Israel.
Shortly, we are due to be reunited in Vietnam, and we cannot wait. The countdown is well and truly on! We will hopefully be enjoying Christmas and seeing in the New Year with some delicious food and a beer or two in our hands whilst we explore the country. As usual, we plan to put our feet to good use and find some hiking in Vietnam.
If you’ve got any tips for travelling to Vietnam, or there’s something you’d like us to find out for you on our travels – reach out to us on social networks or on the website.
If you celebrate Christmas, we wish you all the best for the holidays. Speak again in the New Year!
In the meantime, you can read more from us below and over on the website.
Here are some of our recent posts from the website….
If you’d like to read more about our travels in the last few months, you can find links to some highlights below (more on the website!)
- A comprehensive guide to Jordan
- Hiking the Jordan Trail, Dana to Petra
- Can I drink alcohol in Jordan?
- Can you do a day trip to Jerusalem
- How to get from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv
- Is Tel Aviv a good stag or bucks destination?
Bali and Singapore:
- 10 things to know about Ubud
- What is a homestay in Bali?
- Why Singapore is the best layover destination | lotuseaters.travel
… and some our favourite travel stories from elsewhere.
From the High Brow:
- Airbnb to end its cleaning fee shakedown: As of December 2022, Airbnb will be offering much more transparent pricing models making hidden cleaning costs much clearer up front. This should also mark the end of ridiculous cleaning checklists for guests. Hurrah. You can read more here.
- National Geographic Announces its 2023 Travel Highlights: There are some corkers – read more here.
- Japan Fans Tidy Stadium: Whatever you feel about the World Cup, it must warm your cockles to see Japanese fans tidying the stadium after their national team played. Now that’s efficient. Read more here.
To the Low:
- Loo Lols in Laos: Instagram is alight with pictures of the new highspeed railway running through Laos. It should make travelling through this country in Southeast Asia, much more efficient. But we hear it has squatty toilets. That sounds like a recipe for disaster on a high-speed train!
- Can I sit with my boyfriend/kids/wife? We’ve been hooked to the various stories about people asking fellow passengers to switch seats on the plane. We are firmly in support of people who want to keep their pre-booked seat! Where do you stand on this thorny debate?
- Anything to declare? On E’s visit to Singapore, she found out that chewing gum is illegal! Find out here what other weird and wonderful things are banned around the world.
If you’d like to connect with us more, here’s how you can:
We love to hear that people are enjoying our writing and we love to connect with fellow travellers!
- Get in touch directly on any of our socials or drop a comment on one of our posts!
- Read our guidebook on the Camino de Santiago – find it here on Amazon in your area😊