I’m currently travelling around as a Digital Nomad. As I travel and try new places as a Nomad, I’m building a sense of what I want and don’t want from a destination. Based on my recent stay in Budva, I’ve put together a brief review of the pros and cons. Read on to find out whether Budva is a great place for Digital Nomads.
Pros of Budva for Digital Nomads
- Montenegro is not in Schengen, so for any Brits unable to stay in the EU for longer than 90 days, this is a pro;
- Accommodation is cheap (ish), there are plentiful Airbnbs available, and they offer discounts for long term stays. A small apartment with terrace will cost between 700 and 900 Euros per month;
- There are lots of good public spaces, beaches and some parks where you can spend time working or relaxing without spending any money;
- There are some Yoga studios, gyms and places to workout. The Tourist Office runs free Yoga classes throughout Summer months;
- There are plenty of cafes, bars and restaurants. Casper Bar has been my favourite place to work, come day and night!
- Budva feels generally safe, bustling and you can move around with relative anonymity.
- There are lots of day trips and excursions you can take and with buses frequently travelling between Budva and neighbouring Croatia and Albania, you can travel on from Budva with ease.
- Budva is surrounded by mountains, and whilst I haven’t yet had time to explore these, they do provide a wonderfully scenic backdrop for working!
Cons of Budva for Digital Nomads
- In general, I don’t think there is much of a “nomad community” here. Rather Budva has more transient holiday makers and permanent locals;
- Prices for food and drink are high relative to rural Montenegro and other Balkan countries as this is a very popular tourist destination;
- It’s a relatively small town, and whilst there is lots to see and do, I don’t think you could sustain a life here for longer than a month if you like to be see new places and new things regularly;
- In Summer months, it’s very busy with tourists (could be a pro, if like me, you enjoy being in a busy place and a sense of anonymity!)
Overall Ranking of Budva for Digital Nomads
- Cost: ££ (out of 3)
- Fun Factor: 3/5
- Social: 2/5
- Work-ability: 4/5
If you want to find out more about Budva – read here. Or if you’re travelling to Kotor, consider reading this review of what to do in Kotor.
USEFUL LINKS FOR FLIGHTS, ACCOMMODATION AND TRANSPORT
CHECK LATEST FLIGHTS
ACTIVITIES TO CONSIDER
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Please note that some links on our website are partnered with affiliates. Using an affiliate links does not make it more expensive for you to purchase. We receive a small commission whenever you buy something which in turn allows us to keep writing independent travel guides and your support is greatly appreciated.