Packing for the Camino de Santiago starts with the backpack. It’s very important to pick the right one for you and to ensure that it does not weigh too much. But how much should your backpack weigh for the Camino de Santiago and how big should it be?
For a full packing list for women walking the Camino de Santiago, you can find our article here.
- What size backpack do you need for the Camino de Santiago?
- How much should your backpack weigh on the Camino de Santiago?
- Best backpacks for the Camino de Santiago in 2023
Camino backpack size: What size backpack do you need for the Camino de Santiago?
Most people walking a long distance hike such as the Camino de Santiago will carry a backpack of between 30 and 40 litres. This should be sufficient to carry all of your essentials on the Camino, including a sleeping bag or sleep sheet.
If you are planning to camp on the Camino de Santiago, you may need a larger bag. Perhaps 40 to 70 litres, depending on the size of your tent and weather you are travelling alone.
However, for most people, anything bigger than 40 litres would be too much. The risk of carrying a larger bag, is that you will star to fill it with non-essential items.
How much should your backpack weigh on the Camino de Santiago?
As a guide, your backpack for walking on the Camino de Santiago should not weigh more than 10% of your body weight. So, if you weigh 80kg, the backpack should weigh no more than 8kg.
There may be exceptions, if for example you are very strong or used to carrying weight whilst exercising. However, it’s important to remember that you are likely to be walking long distances every day on the Camino de Santiago. Any extra weight on your back is likely to put unnecessary strain on your body and could lead to injury, or at least discomfort.
For more information on training for the Camino de Santiago, you can find our guide here.
Best backpacks for the Camino de Santiago in 2023
There are a few important things to look for when you are trying to find your backpack for the Camino de Santiago:
- Correct fit – backpacks come in different sizes to suit different heights, pick the correct one and find a backpack with adjustable straps
- Backpack weight – check the weight of your pack when it is empty
- Backpack size – look for something between 30 and 40 litres that you can also carry onto an airplane
- Pockets and sections – look for a bag with hip compartments, side pockets and other zipped sections
- Hip and chest straps – ensure that your backpack has hip and chest straps to take the weight off your shoulders
Finally, don’t forget to try it before you walk the Camino de Santiago and return it if it doesn’t feel right. And of course, don’t forget to train with the backpack on.
Here are six of our favourite backpacks for the Camino de Santiago in 2023.
- Best for women – Osprey Sirrus 34 Women’s Hiking Backpack
2. Best for petite women – Osprey Tempest 30 – available in Small Size to suit a petite frame
3. Best if you need to pack camping equipment – Osprey 65litre backpack
4. Most stylish backpack – Fjällräven Kaipak 38 Backpack 55 cm
5. Best for men – Osprey Talon 33 litre requiring different sizes
6. Best unisex option – Deuter Unisex Futura Pro 36 Backpack
If you’re looking for a more budget option, you can find our guide to budget hiking here.
REDISCOVERING WANDERLUST: THE RISING TREND OF UNPLUGGED TRAVEL AND DIGITAL DETOX. In an era dominated by digital connectivity and the constant hum of notifications, a growing number of travelers are embracing a refreshing trend—packing their bags and embarking on journeys completely unplugged from the digital world. The allure of unplugged travel, or a digital detox,…
8 BENEFITS OF WALKING: BENEFITS OF WALKING LONG DISTANCES. Okay, this title is perhaps a bit misleading, I have of course been walking for more than 18 months. I am after all, in my mid-thirties. So, it would be more accurate to say that I have been walking for over thirty years. What I mean…
HANOI VERSUS HO CHI MINH CITY: WHICH ONE TO VISIT? Embarking on a journey through Vietnam, we were lucky enough to visit Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City spending between 7 and 10 days in each. From bustling markets to historical landmarks, our adventure unfolded as we uncovered the distinct personalities of these vibrant cities.…
Most of our planning is done using other blogs, but you can’t beat a guide book at the bottom of your case.
Find them here on Amazon.
John and Emma’s hiking gear. These are items we love to use when we go hiking, find them here on Amazon.
Osprey 40L, Multi, O/S
HOKA ONE ONE Mens Speedgoat 4 Textile Synthetic Trainers
HOKA ONE ONE Women’s Clifton 8
CWVLC Unisex Cushioned Compression Athletic Ankle Socks Multipack
Dr. Scholl’s Blister Cushions, Seal & Heal Bandage, 8 Cushions
Montem Ultra Strong Trekking, Walking, and Hiking Poles – One Pair (2 Poles)
USEFUL LINKS FOR FLIGHTS, ACCOMMODATION AND TRANSPORT
CHECK LATEST FLIGHTS
ACTIVITIES TO CONSIDER
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Please note that some links on our website are partnered with affiliates. Using an affiliate links does not make it more expensive for you to purchase. We receive a small commission whenever you buy something which in turn allows us to keep writing independent travel guides and your support is greatly appreciated.